Dilwyn, Herefordshire Family History Guide
Dilwyn is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Newtown and Hurst, Newtown with Hurs, Sollars Dilwyn, Newton with Hurst, Luntley, Hawen with the Headland, Church Dilwyn, Fawley, and Haven with the Headland.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Dilwyn
Historical Descriptions of Dilwyn
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DILWYN, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Weobly district, Hereford. The village bears the name of Church-Dilwyn; stands 2½ miles NNE of Weobly, and 3 SSE of Pembridge r. station; and has a post office, of the name of Dilwyn, under Leominster. The parish includes also the townships of Sollars-Dilwyn, Fawley, Luntley, Haven-with-the-Headland, and Newtown-with-Hurst. Acres, 6,067. Real property, £9,722. Pop., 1,069. Houses, 238. The property is much subdivided. The living. is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £381. Patron, the Bishop of Hereford. The church is mainly Norman; consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with large tower and wooden spire; and was recently in disrepair. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, and charities £35. The sub-district contains eight parishes. Acres, 20,552. Pop., 3,701. Houses, 804.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Dilwyn, a parish in the hund. of Stretford, union of Weobley, county of Hereford; 2½ miles north-east of Weobley. Living, a vicarage in the archd. and dio. of Hereford; rated at £6 2s. 6d.; gross income £388. Patron, the bishop of Hereford. There are 2 daily schools, one partly supported by endowment. Charities, £12 10s. per annum. Poor rates, in 1837, £449. There are about 120 acres of hops reared here. Acres 6,080. Houses 202. A. P. £7,704. Pop., in 1801, 846; in 1831, 1,035.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Civil Registration District: Weobley
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Weston
Poor Law Union: Weobley