Craswell is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Herefordshire, created in 1728 from chapelry in Clodock Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Upper and Lower Crasswell.
Alternative names: Crasswall, Craswall, Crosswold
Status: Ecclesiastical Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1703
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Craswell
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CRASSWALL, or Crosswold, a township-chapelry in Clodock parish, Hereford; on the river Monnow, adjacent to the boundary with Brecon, 5½ miles SE of Hay r. station. Post town, Hay, under Hereford. Real property, £2, 197. Pop., 356. Houses, 76. The property is divided among a few. An alien priory, subordinate to Grandmont, was founded, in the time of King John, at what is now called the Abbey farm; and given, in the time of Edward IV., to Christ’s college, Cambridge. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £47. Patron, the Vicar of Clodock. The church is old but very good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Hereford
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Brecon
Rural Deanery: Weobley
Poor Law Union: Dore
Hundred: Ewyas Lacey