Colwall is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Other places in the parish include: North Hill.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. James
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1651
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Colwall
Historical Descriptions of Colwall
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
COLWALL, a parish in Ledbury district, Hereford; under the Malvern Hills, and on the Worcester and Hereford railway, 3¾ miles NE by N of Ledbury. It has a station on the railway, and a post office, of the name of Colwall-Green, under Malvern. Acres, 3, 771. Real property, £5, 714. Pop., 1,628. Houses, 290. The surface shares the scenery of the Hereford beacon on the Malvern Hills. A gold circlet, set with stones, was found, in 1850, at Wind’s point. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £540. Patron, the Bishop of Hereford. The church is decorated English, with a castellated tower; and contains some brasses and monuments. A school has £35 from endowment; and other charities £33.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Ledbury
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Frome
Poor Law Union: Ledbury