Little Chart, Kent Family History Guide
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Mary
The original church of Little Chart St Mary the Virgin and the Holy Rood was destroyed by a V1 flying bomb in 1944.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1563
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic
Parishes adjacent to Little Chart
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CHART (Little), a parish in West Ashford district, Kent; 2 miles SW of Charing, and 2½ N of Pluckley r. station. Post town, Charing, under Ashford. Acres, 1,578. Real property, £2,416. Pop., 304. Houses, 53. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £298. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is old but good, and has a tower. There is a Roman Catholic chapel. Charities, £9.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Paine Edward, Little Chart, Kent, paper maker, Dec. 1, 1821.
Family History Links
FreeReg – Parish Registers – Free
Civil Registration District: West Ashford
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury
Rural Deanery: Pre-1864 – Canterbury, Post-1863 – East Charing
Poor Law Union: West Ashford