Lydham, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Family History Guide
Lydham is an Ancient Parish partly in Montgomeryshire.
Other places in the parish include: Aston.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: Holy Trinity
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1596
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1638
Parishes adjacent to Lydham
Historical Descriptions of Lydham
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LYDHAM, a village in Clun district, Salop, and a parish partly also in the district and county of Montgomery. The village stands near the river Camlet, at the boundary with Wales, and near Lydham-Heath r. station, 2 miles NNE of Bishops-Castle. The parish comprises 1,943 acres in Salop, and 1,125 acres, forming the township of Aston, in Montgomery. Post town, Bishops-Castle, Shropshire. Real property of the Salop portion, £2,437. Pop. of the whole, 205. Houses, 29. Pop. of the Salop portion, 143. Houses, 19. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Rev. A. Oakeley. Oakley House is the chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £463. Patron, the Rev. A. Oakeley. The church is ancient but good, and has an ancient font.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Lydham. A parish partly in the county of Montgomery, and partly in the Bishopscastle division of the hundred of Purslow, a rectory, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Clun, and archdeaconry of Salop. The parish contains 225 inhabitants. The Shropshire part, 18 houses, 113 inhabitants. 2 miles north-east by north of Bishopscastle.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Lydham, Shropshire Parish Registers 1591 to 1812 – Archive.org
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Clun
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Clun
Poor Law Union: Madeley