Loppington, Shropshire Family History Guide



Loppington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.

Other places in the parish include: Burlton, Noveley, Nonely, Noneley, and Burton.

Status: Ancient Parish

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1654
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1558

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist

Parishes adjacent to Loppington

 

Historical Descriptions of Loppington

Loppington

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

LOPPINGTON, a village and a parish in Wem district, Salop. The village stands 3 miles W by N of Wem r. station, and has a post office under Wem. The parish contains the townships of Nonely and Burlton; the latter of which has a post office under Shrewsbury. Acres, 3,414. Real property, £6,192. Pop., 575. Houses, 118. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Duke of Cleveland. Loppington House is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £215. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient, in tolerable condition; and contains some brasses; and was the scene of a conflict between the royalists and parliamentarians, when part of its N wall was demolished. There are a mixed national school and some charities.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Loppington. A parish in the Ellesmere division of the hundred of Pimhill. A vicarage discharged, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Salop, and archdeaconry of Salop. 101 houses, 622 inhabitants. 3 miles north-west by west of Wem.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Burlton

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Burlton. A township in the parish of Loppington, and in the Ellesmere division of the hundred of Pimhill. 4 miles south-west of Wem.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Nonneley or Noneley

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Nonneley or Noneley. A township in the parish of Loppington, and in the Ellesmere division of the hundred of Pimhill. 2 miles south-west of Wem. The greater part of this township is the property of Richard Noneley, Esq.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Family History Links

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Shropshire
Civil Registration District: Wem
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Lichfield
Rural Deanery: Wem
Poor Law Union: Wem
Hundred: Pimhill
Province: Canterbury