Longdon upon Tern, Shropshire Family History Guide
Status: Ancient Parish
Alternative names: Longdon on Tern
Parish church: St. Bartholomew
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1692
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1809
Parishes adjacent to Longdon upon Tern
Historical Descriptions of Longdon upon Tern
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LONGDON-UPON-TERN, a parish in Wellington district, Salop; on the river Tern and the Shrewsbury canal, 3 ½ miles N by W of Wellington r. station. Post town, Wellington, Salop. Acres, 796. Real property, £1,659; of which £18 are in the canal, and £8 in quarries. Pop., 88. Houses, 17. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Duke of Sutherland. The living is a donative in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £182. Patron, the Duke of Sutherland. The church is of brick.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Long or Longdon upon Tern. A parish in the Wellington division of the hundred of Bradford, South, a peculiar, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Salop, and archdeaconry of Salop. 3 miles north-west by north of Wellington. 14 houses, 95 inhabitants.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Longdon upon Tern Parish Register 1692 to 1812 – Archive.org
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Wellington (Shropshire)
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Pontesbury
Poor Law Union: Wellington
Hundred: South Bradford