Last Updated on

Llanymynech is an Ancient Parish in Shropshire and partly in Montgomeryshire.

Other places in the parish include: Carreghorn, Treprennal, Treprenal, Llwyntydmon, and Llwyntidman.

Alternative names: Llan-y-Mynech

Status: Ancient Parish

Parish church: St. Agatha

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1666
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1662

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Llanymynech

Historical Descriptions

Llanymynech

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

LLANYMYNECH, a village in Oswestry district, Salop, and a parish partly also in Llanfyllin district, Montgomery. The village stands on the river Vyrnwy, at the boundary with Montgomery, adjacent to the Montgomery canal and to the Cambrian railway, at the junction of the branch to Llanfyllin, near Offa’s dyke, 4 ½ miles WSW of the boundary with Denbigh, and 5½ S by W of Oswestry; is a pretty place, seated on an eminence; and has a station at the railway junction, a post office under Oswestry, a handsome stone bridge over the Vyrnwy, and fairs on 1 April, 29 May, and 23 Sept. The parish contains the townships of Llwyntidman and Treprenal in Salop, and the township of Carreghofa in Montgomery. Acres of the Salop portion, 1,281. Real property, £6,545; of which £132 are in mines. Pop., 551. Houses, 109. Acres of the Montgomery portion, 1,223. Real property, £3,444; of which £30 are in mines, and £1,432 in quarries. Pop., 400. Houses, 92. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Earl of Powis and F. West, Esq. Llanymynech Hill has an altitude of about 900 feet; commands beautiful views, particularly toward the Berwyn mountains; is traversed, along the W brow, by Offa’s dyke; has been largely scarped and pierced with quarries, whence enormous quantities of mountain limestone was sent to Staffordshire to be used there in the smelting of iron ore; and seems to have been mined for copper ore, by the Romans. A large cave in it, called the Ogo cavern, was found, in 1761, to contain several human skeletons, accompanied with tools and coins of Antoninus. Other hills also are in the parish; and some of them have ancient British earth-works. Lead and zinc ores, as well as copper, have been worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £394. Patron, the Bishop of St. Asaph. The church was rebuilt in 1845; is in the Norman style; and has stainedglass E and W windows. There is a national school.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Llanymynech. A parish in the upper division of the hundred of Oswestry, a rectory, in the diocese of St. Asaph, and the deanery of Marchia; the church is in Denbighshire. 89 houses, 454 inhabitants. 6 miles south-west by south of Oswestry.

Llanymynech, (or neich) signifies the Church District of the Monks, and has no relation whatever to mines. It was so called, because there was formerly a monastery there. This village is on the road leading to Pool.

The Romans had mine-works in Llanymynech hill, from which they obtained considerable quantities of copper. One vestige of their work appears in an artificial cave, of immense length, called Ogo, (more properly Ogof, which is a Welch word signifying a Cave.) The windings of this cavern are numerous and intricate. Some years ago, two men endeavouring to explore it, were so bewildered in its turnings, that they were found by some men sent in search of them, prostrate on the ground, despairing of ever seeing the light again. Skeletons, culinary utensils, &c. have been discovered in this cavern. One of the skeletons had a battle-axe by its side, and a bracelet of glass beads around its wrist. Several Roman coins have also been found in this place; and not long ago many coins, mostly of Constantine, were found in a parcel of earth which was washed down the side of the hill. The hill abounds in limestone. Great numbers of men are employed in raising, breaking, and burning the stone.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Carreghorn

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Carreghorn. A township in the parish of Llanymynech, and in the hundred of Oswestry. See appendix.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Lwyntlanan

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Lwyntlanan. A township in the parish of Llanymynech, and in the upper division of the hundred of Oswestry.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Directories

Llanymynech Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871

Parish Registers

Parish Registers of Llanymynech 1666 to 1812 – Archive.org

Family History Links

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Shropshire
Civil Registration District: Oswestry
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of St Asaph (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: St Asaph
Rural Deanery: Oswestry
Poor Law Union: Oswestry
Hundred: Oswestry
Province: Canterbury

Photographs

Videos