Llansilin, Shropshire Family History Guide
Llansilin is an Ancient Parish in Shropshire and partly in Denbighshire.
Other places in the parish include: Soughton and Sychtyn.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St Silin
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1668
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1666
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Particular Baptist.
Parishes adjacent to Llansilin
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LLANSILIN, a township, a parish, and a sub-district in Oswestry district; the township and most of the parish electorally in Denbigh, the rest of the parish and the sub-district electorally in Salop. The township lies on the river Cynlleth, adjacent to the boundary with Salop, 3½ miles W of Offa’s dyke, and 6 WSW of Oswestry r. station; and has a post office under Oswestry, and fairs on 10 July, and 21 Sept. The parish contains also the townships of Bodlith, Estynallan, Lledrode, Lloran, Moelfre, Priddbwll, Isfoel-Rhinlas, UchfoelRhinlas, and Sychart, in Denbigh; and the township of Soughton or Sychtyn, in Salop. Acres of the Denbigh portion, 11,285. Real property, £11,588. Pop., 1,795. Houses, 341. Acres of the Salop portion, 1,446. Real property, £1,607. Pop., 207. Houses, 46. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged to Einion Evell, from whom several families in this neighbourhood have descended. Glascoed is the seat of the Wynns. Sychart belonged to Owen Glendower; PlâsNewydd, to the Myddletons; and Penybont, to the Maurices. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £307.* Patron, the Bishop of St. Asaph. The church is dedicated to St. Silin; is in good condition; acquired a fine stained window in 1866; and contains monuments of the Maurices, the Wynns, and others. The rectory of Rliydycroesau is a separate benefice. There are an Independent chapel, a slightly endowed school, and charities £16.—The sub-district contains also two other parishes. Acres, 22,978. Pop., 4,128. Houses, 831.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Oswestry
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: St Asaph
Rural Deanery: Llangollen
Poor Law Union: Oswestry