Last Updated on
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Lawrence
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1689
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1638
Parishes adjacent to Little Wenlock
Historical Descriptions of Little Wenlock
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WENLOCK (Little), a parish in Madeley district, Salop; under the Wrekin, 1 mile W of Horsehay r. station, and 3¼ S of Wellington. Post town, Horsehay, under Wellington, Salop. Acres, 2,745. Real property, £4,345; of which £693 are in mines. Pop., 988. Houses, 191. The property belongs to Lord Forester. Coal and iron ore are worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £550. Patron, Lord Forester. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Little Wenlock. A parish in the franchise of Wenlock, a rectory discharged, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Wenlock, and archdeaconry of Salop. 184 houses, 965 inhabitants. 4 ½ miles south-east of Wenlock Magna, or Much Wenlock.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Shropshire Parish Documents 1902
(Little Wenlock is a parish within the borough of Much Wenlock)
Documents, etc., in the custody of the Rector. – Kept in a safe in the Vestry, viz:-
General Register, 1689 – 1748.
General Register, 1748 – 1773.
Register of Baptisms and Burials, 1773 – 1812
Register of Baptisms, 1813 – 1858
Register of Baptisms, 1858 – 1897
Register of Baptisms, 1897 – in use
Register of Banns and Marriages, 1754 – 1788
Register of Marriages. 1789 – 1812
Register of Marriages, 1813 – 1837
Register of Marriages, 1837 – in use
Register of Banns, 1823 – 1893
Register of Banns, 1894 – in use
Register of Burials, 1813 – 1898
Register of Burials, 1898 – in use
Overseers’ Accounts, 1818 – 1836
Vestry Minutes, 1837 – in use
Fragments of Overseers’ Accounts, 1703 (tattered and in a great part undecipherable)
Churchwardens’ Account Book, 1775 – 1870
Tithe Map and Award, dated 8th November 1839, kept at the Rectory.
Source: Shropshire Parish Documents published 1902. A report of the Inspection of Parish Documents made to Salop County Council under section 17 of the Local Government Act 1894.
Note: The location of the documents listed in this transcription are as cited in the book published in 1902 and should be used as a guide only. It should not be assumed that the documents are still kept at the stated location. Interested parties should perhaps contact Shropshire records office to ascertain the documents current whereabouts.
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Madeley
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Wenlock
Poor Law Union: Madeley
Hundred: Much Wenlock Borough