Last Updated on
Upper Tean is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Staffordshire, created in 1844 from Checkley Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Lower Tean.
Status: Ecclesiastical Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1845
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Upper Tean
Historical Descriptions of Upper Tean
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
TEAN, two hamlets and a chapelry in Checkley parish, Stafford. The hamlets are Lower T. and Upper T.; they lie on the river Tean, 2½ miles S by E of Cheadle, and 2½ N by W of Leigh r. station; and Upper T. has a post-office‡ under Stafford. The chapelry was constituted in 1844. Pop., 1,171. Houses, 282. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £150. Patron, the Rector of Checkley.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Tean, a hamlet, in the parish of Checkley, union of Cheadle, S. division of the hundred of Totmonslow, N. division of the county of Stafford, 7¼ miles (N. W. by W.) from Uttoxeter. A manufactory for tape, supposed to be the most extensive in Europe, was established at Upper Tean, in 1748, at which, and in adjoining bleaching-grounds, several hundred persons find employment. In the neighbourhood are several mansions and elegant villas. Fairs are held on Easter-Tuesday and November 10th. The Incorporated Society, in 1841, granted £200 towards building a church to contain 559 sittings; and there are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Cheadle
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Uttoxeter
Poor Law Union: Cheadle
Hundred: South Totmonslow