Last Updated on
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1559
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1602
- Society of Friends
- Calvinistic Baptists
- Wesleyans Methodists
- Primitive Methodists
Parishes adjacent to Stotfold
Historical Descriptions of Stotfold
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
STOTFOLD, a parish, with a large village, in Biggleswade district, Beds; 2¼ miles NW by W of Baldock r. station. It has a post-office under Baldock. Acres, 2,323. Real property, £6,100. Pop. in 1851, 1,395; in 1861, 2,071,-of whom 484 were in the Beds, Herts, and Hunts lunatic asylum. Houses, 324. The property is subdivided. The lunatic asylum is a recent, extensive and ornate edifice; and stands conspicuously on high ground. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £242. Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is good. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, an endowed boys’ school, a national school, seven alms houses, and some other charities.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Stotfold, 4 m. S.E. Shefford. P. 1026
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Biggleswade
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
Rural Deanery: Shefford
Poor Law Union: Biggleswade