Boconnoc is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.
Alternative names: Boconnoe
Other places in the parish include: Little and Little House.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1539
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Boconnoc
- St Winnow
- St Veep
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BOCONNOC, a parish in Liskeard district, Cornwall; on affluents of the river Lerrin, 3 miles SW of Doublebois r. station, and 4 NE of Lostwithiel. Post Town, Lostwithiel. Acres, 2,003. Real property, £1,606. Pop., 323. Houses, 57. The manor belonged to the Courtenays, the Carmenowes, and the Mohuns; was purchased by Governor Pitt, the grandfather of the great Earl of Chatham; and is now the property of Lady Grenville. The old mansion on it was the headquarters of Prince Maurice, and for a short time the residence of Charles I., who narrowly escaped being shot by an assassin on the grounds. The present mansion was built by Governor Pitt, and improved by Lord Camelford; was the birthplace of the Earl of Chatham; is now the residence of the Hon. G. M. Fortescue; and contains a bust of Lord Chatham, some fine paintings by Kneller, Lely, and Reynolds, and two ebony chairs, made out of Queen Elizabeth’s cradle. The grounds are the finest in Cornwall; and contain an obelisk, 123 feet high, to the memory of Sir Richard Lyttleton. Lead mines were formerly worked, but were not productive. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Broadoak, in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £378. Patron, Lady Grenville.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Boconnoc, 4 m. E. Lostwithiel. P. 312
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Liskeard
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiars of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter
Rural Deanery: Pre-1848 – None, Post-1847 – West
Poor Law Union: Liskeard
Hundred: West (Cornwall)