Last Updated on
Edworth, an Ancient Parish in the county of Bedfordshire
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1552
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1602
Parishes adjacent to Edworth
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
EDWORTH, a parish in Biggleswade district, Beds; near the Roman way and adjacent to Herts, 3½ miles NE of Arlesey r. station and 3½ SE of Biggleswade. Post town, Stotfold, under Baldock. Acres, 1, 099. Real property, £1, 455. Pop., 99. Houses, 18. The property is all in one estate. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £190. Patron,C. Hale, Esq. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Edworth, a parish in the hund. and union of Biggleswade, county of Bedford; 3½ miles south east of Biggleswade, about half-a-mile east of the Roman way. Living, a rectory, formerly in the archd. of Bedford and dio. of Lincoln, now in the dio. of Ely; rated at £15 16s. 3d.; gross income £167. Patron, in 1835, W. Hale, Esq. Acres 1,100. Houses 24. A.P. £1,084. Pop., in 1801, 90; in 1831, 95. Poor rates, in 1838, £100 6s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Edworth, 3 m. N.E. Biggleswade. P. 105
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Civil Registration District: Biggleswade
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
Rural Deanery: Shefford
Poor Law Union: Biggleswade