Eaton Socon is an Ancient Parish in the county of Bedfordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Staploe, Luloe, and Wyboston.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1556
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1602
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, General Baptist, Presbyterian, and Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Eaton Socon
Historical Descriptions of Eaton Socon
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
EATON-SOCON, a parish in the district of St. Neots and county of Bedford; at the verge of the county, on the river Ouse and the Great Northern railway, 1 ½ mile SW of St. Neots. It contains Wyboston and the St. Neots workhouse; and has a post office under St. Neots. Acres, 7, 530. Real property, £13, 899. Pop., 2, 766. Houses, 583. The property is much subdivided. A castle of the Beauchamps formerly stood here; and an Angustinian priory was founded by two of them, in the time of Henry II., at Bushmead, 4¼ miles W of St. Neots. The priory was given, in 1537, to Sir William Gascoyne; and only the refectory of it now exists; but a mansion bears its name, and is the seat of the Gerys. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £439. Patron, J. G. Atkinson, Esq. The church is Norman, and has a fine tower. There are a national school, and charities £20.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Eaton-Socon with Wyboston. 2 m. S.W. St. Neots. P. 2600.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: St Neots
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
Rural Deanery: Eaton
Poor Law Union: St Neots