Last Updated on
Cranfield, an ancient parish in the county of Bedfordshire.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1600
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1602
- Particular Baptist
- Society of Friends/Quaker
- Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Cranfield
Historical Descriptions of Cranfield
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CRANFIELD, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Ampthill district, Beds. The village stands near the boundary with Bucks, 3½ miles NW of Lidlington r. station, and 6 NW by W of Ampthill: has a post office under Newport-Pagnell; and gave the title of Baron to the Duke of Dorset. The parish comprises 3, 500 acres. Real property, 6, 519. Pop., 1, 591. Houses, 315. The property is divided among a few. The parish is a meet for the Oakley hounds. There is a mineral spring. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £376. Patron, the Rev. G. G. Harter. The church is later English, in good condition. There are two Baptist chapels, a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £18, alms-houses with £60, and other charities with £28. The sub-district contains three parishes. Acres, 10, 191. Pop., 3, 706. Houses, 753.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Cranfield, 5½ m. N.W. Ampthill. P. 1371.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Ampthill
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
Rural Deanery: Fleete
Poor Law Union: Ampthill