Bramham, Yorkshire Family History Guide
Bramham is an Ancient Parish in the West Riding of the county of Yorkshire.
Other places in the parish include: Oglethorpe and Bramham cum Oglethorpe.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1586
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1633
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Bramham
Historical Descriptions of Bramham
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BRAMHAM, a township, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Tadcaster district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township bears the name of Bramham-cum-Oglethorpe; lies 2½ miles SW of Newton-Kyme r. station, and 4 W of Tadcaster; and has a post office, of the name of Bramham, under Tadcaster. Acres, 3,971. Real property, £6,007. Pop., 1,331. Houses, 265. The parish contains also the township of Clifford-cum-Boston. Acres, 5,462. Real property, £15,152. Pop., 3,484. Houses, 721. The property is much subdivided. Bramham Park, now the property of G. Lane Fox, Esq., belonged formerly to the Lords Bingley; was built in the time of Queen Anne; consists of centre and wings, in the Græco-Italian style; contained till recently a portrait of Queen Anne, given by her in acknowledgment of her being entertained; and was visited by George IV. The proprietor of it has abandoned it as a residence, but maintains the grounds around it in good order, and resides in a handsome neighbouring mansion. Bramham moor has large remains of Watling-street; and is a resort of sportsmen. Excellent limestone is quarried; and coal is found. Sir Thomas Rokeby, in 1408, on the part of Henry IV., fought and defeated the Earl of Northumberland at Bramham. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £300. Patron, Christ Church, Oxford. The church consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and short spire; and has a fine pointed doorway. The vicarages of Boston Spa and Clifford are separate benefices. Bramham college, a fine building amid ornate grounds, is an educational institution for young gentlemen. There are two Methodist chapels, an endowed school, and charities £28. The subdistrict contains three parishes, parts of three others, and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 17,659. Pop., 4,990. Houses, 1,038.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Bramham, 3½ m. W. Tadcaster. P. 2760
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Tadcaster
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of York
Rural Deanery: New Ainsty
Poor Law Union: Barwick Gilbert Union
Hundred: Barkstone Ash