Last Updated on

West Tanfield is an Ancient Parish in the North Riding of the county of Yorkshire.

Other places in the parish include: Thornbrough, Thornborough, Nosterfield, and Binscoe.

Status: Ancient Parish

Parish church: St. Nicholas

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1653
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1637

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist

Parishes adjacent to West Tanfield

  • Masham
  • Burneston
  • Grewelthorpe
  • North Stainley
  • Mickley
  • Well
  • Kirklington

Historical Descriptions

West Tanfield

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

TANFIELD (West), a parish, with three villages, in the district of Ripon and N. R. Yorkshire; on the river Ure, 4½ miles WNW of Melmerby-Junction r. station, and 6 NW by N of Ripon. It has a post-office under Bedale. Acres, 3,139. Real property, £3,994. Pop., 623. Houses, 144. An old seat of the Marmious is here; and a handsome bridge spans the Ure. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £416. Patron, the Marquis of Ailesbury. The church was restored in 1860. There are an endowed school with £8 a year, and charities £25.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Binscoe

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Binscoe, a village in West Tanfield parish, N. R. Yorkshire; 3½ miles SE of Masham.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Family History Links

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Yorkshire
Civil Registration District: Ripon
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Commissary of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Eastern Deaneries – Catterick
Diocese: Post-1835 – Ripon, Pre-1836 – York
Rural Deanery: Catterick
Poor Law Union: Ripon
Hundred: Hallikeld
Province: York

Photographs