Last Updated on

Shrewsbury Holy Cross with St Giles is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Shropshire, created by 1786 from Shrewsbury Holy Cross Ancient Parish and Shrewsbury St Giles Ancient Parish.

Other places in the parish include: Coleham, Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury St Giles, and Coleman.

Status: Ecclesiastical Parish

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: Shrewsbury Holy Cross with St Giles

  • Parish registers: 1541
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1630

Parish registers begin: Shrewsbury St Giles

  • Parish registers: 1825
  • Bishop’s Transcripts:

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Shrewsbury Holy Cross with St Giles

Historical Descriptions

Holy Cross and St. Giles or Abbey Foregate

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Holy Cross and St. Giles; or Abbey Foregate. A parish in the liberties, and adjoining the borough of Shrewsbury. 299 houses, 1,444 inhabitants.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Abbey Foregate

Gregory Gazetteer of Shropshire 1824

Abbey Foregate, East and West. Two townships in the parish of Holy Cross and St. Giles, in the borough of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824.

Family History Links

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Administration

County: Shropshire
Civil Registration District: Shrewsbury
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Lichfield
Rural Deanery: Shrewsbury
Poor Law Union: Shrewsbury Incorporation
Hundred: Shrewsbury Borough
Province: Canterbury

Photographs