Alverthorpe, Yorkshire Family History Guide
Alverthorpe is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the West Riding of the county of Yorkshire, created in 1826 from Wakefield All Saints Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Silcoates, Newton, Kirkham Gate, Fanshaw, and Alverthorpe with Thornes Fanshaw, Kirkham Gate, Silcoates, and Newton.
Status: Ecclesiastical Parish
Alternative names: Alverthorpe with Thornes, Wakefield St Paul
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1825
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1825
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Alverthorpe
- South Ossett
- Ossett cum Gawthorpe
- Ardsley East
- Wakefield St John
Historical Descriptions of Alverthorpe
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ALVERTHORPE, a village, a township, a chapelry, and a subdistrict in Wakefield parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands near the Midland railway, 1½ mile NW of Wakefield; and has a post office under Wakefield. The township bears the name of Alverthorpe with-Thornes; lies partly within the borough boundaries of Wakefield; and contains the hamlets of Fanshaw, Kirkham-Gate, and Silcoates, and part of the hamlet of Newton. Acres, 3,153. Real property, £23,690. Pop., 6,645. Houses, 1,423. The property is much subdivided. The chapelry was constituted in 1830. Pop., 4,590. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £300. Patron, the Vicar of Wakefield. The church is large, modern, and handsome. There are three Methodist chapels, the Northern Congregational grammar school, four national schools, and charities £50. The subdistrict is co-extensive with the township.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Allerthorpe, or Alverthorpe, a township with Thornes, and a chapelry in the parish of Wakefield, west riding of York; 1 mile north-east of Wakefield. Living, a curacy, formerly in the archd. and dio. of York, now in the archd. of Craven and dio. of Ripon; gross income £72. Patron, the vicar of Wakefield. Pop., in 1801. 3,105; in 1831, 4,859. Houses 999. Acres 2,930. A. P. £8,129. Poor rates, in 1837, £1,360.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Alverthorpe, 1½ m. N.W. Wakefield. P. included therein
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Langdale A Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire 1822
Alverthorpe, in the parish of Wakefield, Agbrigg division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 1 mile from Wakefield, 4 from Dewsbury. – Pop. including Thornes, 4,448, which being united form a township.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire By Thomas Langdale. Second Edition. Printed and Sold by J. Langdale; and sold by T. Langdale, Ripon. 1822.
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Wakefield
Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Diocese: Post-1835 – Ripon, Pre-1836 – York
Rural Deanery: Pontefract
Poor Law Union: Wakefield