Austwick, Yorkshire Family History Guide
Status: Ecclesiastical Parish
Alternative names: Clapham Church of the Epiphany
Parish church: the Epiphany
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1879
- Bishop’s Transcripts:
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodists
Parishes adjacent to Austwick
- Horton in Ribblesdale
- Rathmel in Craven
Historical Descriptions of Austwick
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
AUSTWICK, a township-chapelry in Clapham parish, W. R. Yorkshire; near Ingleborough hill, 2 miles NE of Clapham r. station, and 4½ NW of Settle. Post Town, Clapham, under Lancaster. Acres, 5,400. Real property, £5,224. Pop., 561. Houses, 128. Austwick Hall is the seat of T. R. Clapham, Esq. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Clapham, in the diocese of Ripon. The church is modern. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £27.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Austwick, a township in the parish of Clapham, west riding of Yorkshire; 4 miles north-west from Settle. A fair for cattle is held here on the Thursday before Whitsuntide. Pop., in 1801, 478; in 1831, 614. Houses 131. Acres 5,400. A. P. £4,567. Poor rates, in 1837, £261.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Austwick, 2 miles E. Clapham. P. 599
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Settle
Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Diocese: Post-1835 – Ripon, Pre-1836 – York
Rural Deanery: Clapham
Poor Law Union: Settle
Hundred: Staincliff and Ewcross