Shelton Nottinghamshire Family History Guide



Status: Ancient Parish

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1595
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1626

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Shelton

  • Thoroton
  • Sibthorpe
  • Flawborough
  • Hawksworth
  • Cotham

Historical Descriptions


The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Shelton, a parish, with a village, in Bingham district, Notts; 3½ miles N by E of Elton r. station, and 6¼ S by W of Newark. It has a post-office under Newark. Acres, 740. Real property, £1,939. Pop., 127. Houses, 27. The manor belongs to R. Hall, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £322.  Patron, G. Maltby, Esq. The church is good. Charities, £9.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Family History Links

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Nottinghamshire
  • Civil Registration District: Bingham
  • Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
  • Diocese: Lincoln
  • Rural Deanery: Newark
  • Poor Law Union: Bingham
  • Hundred: Newark
  • Province: York


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.