Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Michael
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1729
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Hopton Wafers
Historical Descriptions of Hopton Wafers
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HOPTON (WAFERS), a village and a parish in Cleobury-Mortimer district, Salop. The village stands under the Clee hills, 2½ miles NW by W of Cleobury-Mortimer r. station. The parish has sometimes been regarded as including the extra-parochial tract of Woodhouse. Post town, Cleobury-Mortimer, under Bewdley. Acres, 1,610. Real property, £8,459; of which £5,377 are in mines. Pop., exc. of Woodhouse, 440. Houses, 95. The manor, with Hopton Court, and the greater part of the land, belongs to T. Woodward, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £248. Patron, T. Woodward, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1827, and has a pinnacled tower. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel and a free school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Hopton Wafers. A parish in the hundred of Stottesden, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Burford, and archdeaconry of Salop. 93 houses, 459 inhabitants. 2 ½ miles south-west by west of Cleobury Mortimer. Hopton Wafers is remarkable as giving a Singular instance of longevity in William Hyde, who resided in this place, and lived to the advanced age of 106 years. He enjoyed health and activity nearly to the last, and at the time of his decease, in 1798, had sons upwards of eighty years old.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Cleobury Mortimer
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Burford
Poor Law Union: Cleobury Mortimer