Last Updated on
Status: Ecclesiastical Parish
Alternative names: Hopton, Hopton in the Hole
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1788
- Bishop’s Transcripts:
Parishes adjacent to Hopton Cangeford
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HOPTON-IN-THE-HOLE, or HOPTON-CANGEFORD, a parish in Ludlow district, Salop; 4 miles NE of Ludlow town and r. station. Post town, Ludlow. Acres, 562. Pop., 30. Houses, 6. The property is all in one estate. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £90. Patron, Sir H. R. Boughton, Bart. The church is a recent brick edifice.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Hopton in the Hole; or Hopton Caingeford. A parish in the lower division of the hundred of Munslow, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Ludlow, and archdeaconry of Salop. 6 houses, 24 inhabitants. 4 ½ miles north-east by north of Ludlow.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Civil Registration District: Ludlow
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Ludlow
Poor Law Union: Ludlow