Holdgate, Shropshire Family History Guide



Holdgate is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.

Alternative names: Holgate

Other places in the parish include: Bouldon, Brookhampton, and Bowldon.

Status: Ancient Paris

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1662
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Holdgate

Historical Descriptions

Holdgate

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1879

HOLDGATE, a township and a parish in Ludlow district, Salop. The township lies on the river Corve, 7 miles ESE of Church-Stretton r. station, and 11 NNE of Ludlow. Pop., 46. Houses, 10. The parish contains also the townships of Bowldon and Brookhampton; and its post town is Stanton-Long, under Wellington, Salop. Acres, 1,896. Real property, £1,736. Pop., 196. Houses, 39. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Rev. Henry Thursby. An ancient castle of the Dukes of Norfolk formerly stood here. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £276. Patron, the Bishop of Hereford. The church has a tower, and is good.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Holdgate, or Castle- Howgate, a parish and township in Munslow hund., union of Ludlow, Salop; 11 miles north-north-east of Ludlow, on the river Cerne. The parish comprises the townships ot Bouldon and Brookhampton, besides Holdgate. Living, a discharged rectury, with that of Tugford, in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Hereford; rated at £13 9s. 9½d.; gross income £500. Patron, the bishop of Hereford. Here is a daily scbool. The poor of this parish enjoy a rent-charge of 10s. per annum, under the will of Robert Ellis, dated 1652 — see Tugford. Poor rates, in 1838, £111 13s. An ancient castle, belonging to the Duke of Norfolk, formerly stood in this vicinity. Acres 2.840. Houses 37. A. P. £1.771. Pop., in 1801, 197; in 1831, 188. Houses of the township 10. Pop., in 1821, 77; in 1831, 56.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Holdgate. A parish in the lower division of the hundred of Munslow, a rectory discharged, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Wenlock, and archdeaconry of Salop. 34 houses, 238 inhabitants. 7 miles south-east of Church Stretton. See appendix.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Bouldon

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Bouldon. A township in the parish of Holdgate, and in the lower division of the hundred of Munslow. 11 houses, 60 inhabitants.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Family History Links

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Shropshire
Civil Registration District: Ludlow
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Hereford
Rural Deanery: Wenlock
Poor Law Union: Ludlow
Hundred: Munslow
Province: Canterbury