Halford is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Shropshire, created in 1844 from chapelry in Bromfield Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Halford with Dinchope, Hawford, Hawford and Dinchop
Other places in the parish include: Dinchope.
Status: Ecclesiastical Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1597
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
Parishes adjacent to Halford
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HALFORD, a chapelry in Bromfield parish, Salop; on the river Onney, adjacent to the Shrewsbury and Hereford railway, near Craven Arms r. station, 7½ miles NW of Ludlow. It includes the township of Dinchope; and its post town is Wistanstow, Shropshire. Acres, 1,062. Rated property, £1,260. Pop., 141. Houses, 23. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £40. Patron, Lady Windsor. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Halford, a chapelry, in the parish of Bromfield, union of Ludlow, hundred of Munslow, S. division of Salop, 8 1/4 miles (N. W. by N.) from Ludlow; containing, with the township of Dinchope, 124 inhabitants.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Halford. A township in the parish of Bromfield, and in the lower division of the hundred of Munslow, a chapel to Bromfield, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Ludlow, and archdeaconry of Salop. 10 houses, 51 inhabitants.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Ludlow
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Ludlow
Poor Law Union: Ludlow