Last Updated on
Hadnall is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Shropshire, created in 1742 from chapelry in Myddle Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Hadnall Ease
Other places in the parish include: Smethcott, Shotton, Haston, Hardwick, and Alderton.
Status: Chapelry in Myddle Ancient Parish; succeeded by Hadnall Ecclesiastical Parish in 1742
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1783
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1659
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Primitive Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Hadnall
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HADNALL, a township and a chapelry in Middle parish, Salop. The township lies on the Shrewsbury and Crewe railway, 4½ miles NNE of Shrewsbury; and has a post office under Shrewsbury and a r. station. The chapelry includes Alderton, Haston, Hardwick, Shotton, and Smethcott townships. Pop., 456. Houses, 96. The property is subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the dio. of Lichfield. Value, £172. Patron, the Rector of Middle. The church is good. Charities £76.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Hadnall-Ease, a chapelry, in the parish of Middle, liberty of the borough of Shrewsbury, union of Ellesmere, N. division of Salop, 5 1/2 miles (N. N. E.) from Shrewsbury; containing 429 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £55; patron, Rector of Middle. The chapel is dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene. A school was founded and endowed under the will of Lady Mary Hill, in 1787.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Hadnall; or Hadnall Ease. A township in the parish of Middle, and in the liberties of Shrewsbury. A chapel to Middle, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Salop, and archdeaconry of Salop. 61 houses, 363 inhabitants. 5 miles north of Shrewsbury.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Civil Registration District: Ellesmere
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Wem
Poor Law Union: Ellesmere
Hundred: Albrighton Division