Last Updated on
Status: Chapelry in Shinfield Ancient Parish, in the county of Berkshire
Other places in the parish include: East Swallowfield, Farley, West Swallowfield
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1636
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Primitive Methodist, Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Swallowfield
- Stratfield Saye
- Beech Hill
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SWALLOWFIELD, a parish, with a village, in Wokingham district, Berks; on the river Blackwater, 3¾ miles E of Mortimer r. station, and 6 S by E of Reading. It has a post-office under Reading, and a fair on 9 June. Acres, 3,712. Real property, £6,345. Pop. 1,265. Houses, 266. The manor belongs to H. L. Hunter, Esq. S. Park is the seat of Sir Russell, Bart.; and was the place where Clarendon wrote his “History.” Farley-Hill Castle, Farley-Hill House, and Wyvols Court also are good residences. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £180. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford. The church is ancient but good. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, a parochial school, and charities £8.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Swallowfield, 5 miles S. Reading. P. 1134
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Civil Registration District: Wokingham
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Berkshire
Diocese: Pre-1836 – Salisbury, Post-1835 – Oxford
Rural Deanery: Reading
Poor Law Union: Wokingham
Hundred: Charlton; Reading