Status: Ancient Parish
Other places in the parish include: Bromhall, or Bromehall
Parish church: St. Michael
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1561
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1605
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Sunninghill
- Old Windsor
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SUNNINGHILL, a village and a parish in Windsor district, Berks. The village stands near the Staines and Reading railway, 10 miles WSW of Staines; is a straggling-place; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Staines. The parish includes parts of Cranbourne and Sunningdale chapelries, contains Ascot racecourse, and comprises 3,173 acres. Real property, £10,490. Pop. in 1851, 1,350; in 1861, 1,596. Houses, 314. The property is much subdivided. S. Park, Silwood Park, Titnest Park, and Harewood Lodge are chief residenccs There is a mineral spring. A small Benedictine nunnery was at Bromhall. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £328. Patron, St. John’s College, Cambridge. The church was rebuilt in 1828. There are a Methodist chapel, and an endowed school with £22 a year.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Sunninghill, 7 m. N. Oakingham. P. 2062
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Bromhall, or Bromehall, a hamlet in the parish of Sunninghill, hund, of Cookham, county of Berks. “Here was a small Benedictine nunnery, dedicated to St. Margaret, founded before the first year of King John. But by inquisition, taken 13° Henry VIII., it was found that Joan Rawlins, late prioress, having resigned, the only two nuns belonging to this house had abandoned it (in 1522), upon which the priory with the lands belonging thereunto were judged to be escheated to the crown, from whence it was granted, in the next year, by the interest and procurement of Bishop Fisher, to St. John’s college in Cambridge, which yet enjoys the same.” Tanner’s Not. Mod.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Windsor
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Berkshire
Diocese: Pre-1836 – Salisbury, Post-1835 – Oxford
Rural Deanery: Reading
Poor Law Union: Windsor