Last Updated on

St Mary the Virgin, Speen, Berkshire
Church of England parish church of St Mary the Virgin, Speen, Berkshire, seen from the southeast. Pam Brophy / Church: Speen / CC BY-SA 2.0

Speen is an Ancient Parish in the county of Berkshire.

Other places in the parish include: Wood Speen, Marsh Benham, Church Speen, and Bagnor.

Status: Ancient Parish

Parish church: St Mary

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1629
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1614

Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Speen

  • Speenhamland
  • Enborne
  • Boxford
  • Newbury
  • Shaw cum Donnington
  • Stockcross
  • Winterbourne

Historical Descriptions

Speen

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

SPEEN, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Newbury district, Berks. The village stands on Icknield-street, 1½ mile NW of Newbury r. station; occupies the site of the Roman station Spinæ; and has a post-office under Newbury. The parish includes the chapelries of Speenhamland and Stockcross, and the tythings of Bagnor, Church-Speen, Marsh-Benham, and Wood-Speen. Acres, 3,780. Rated property, £10,706. Pop., 3,311. Houses, 718. The property is much subdivided. S. manor belongs to Earl Craven; and Church-S. manor to H. Best, Esq. Benham Park was the residence of the Margrave of Anspach. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £300. Patron, the Bishop of b. The church was rebuilt in 1860. The p. curacies of.Speenhamland and Stockcross are separate benefices. Charities, £38. The sub-district contains 4 parishes. Acres, 21,108. Pop., 7,580. Houses, 1,668.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Speen, 1 m. N.W. Newbury. P. 3069

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Benham

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Benham, a tything in the parish of Speen, hund. of Kintbury-Eagle, county of Berks, 3 miles west of Speenhamland, on the post-road to Hungerford. Pop., in 1801, 256; in 1831 it was returned with the parish, with which also the other returns are given.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Benham, 3 miles fr. Newbury. P. 316

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Parish Records

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Berkshire
Civil Registration District: Newbury
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Berkshire
Diocese: Pre-1836 – Salisbury, Post-1835 – Oxford
Rural Deanery: Newbury
Poor Law Union: Newbury
Hundred: Faircross; Kintbury Eagle
Province: Canterbury