Last Updated on

St James the Less, Pangbourne, Berkshire
Church of England parish church of St James the Less, Pangbourne, Berkshire, seen from the southeast by Arnstein Rønning. This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license.

Status: Ancient Parish

Alternative names: Pangbourn

Parish church: St. James

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1556
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1607

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational

Parishes adjacent to Pangbourne

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

PANGBOURN, a village and a parish in Brad field district, Berks. The village stands on the river Pangnear its influx to the Thames at the boundary with Oxfordshire, and on the Great Western railway, 5½ miles W N W of Reading; presents a picturesque appearance; is much frequented by artists and anglers; and has a post-office under Reading, a railway station with telegraph, a good hotel, and gas-works erected in 1862. The parish comprises 1,925 acres. Real property, £4,047. Pop., 753. Houses, 154. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Bishops of Salisbury; was given, in 1230, to Reading abbey; went, at the dissolution, to Sir John Davies; and passed, in 1671, to John Breedon, Esq. Bere Court is the manor-house; was inhabited by the Abbots of Reading, and by Sir J. Davies; and is now the seat of E. A. Breedon, Esq. Pangbourn Lodge is the seat of R. J. Hopkins, Esq. Roman coins, urns, and other relics were found, during the formation of the Great Western railway, at Shooter-hill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £600. Patron, E. A. Breedon, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1866, at a cost of £3,860; is in the early decorated English style; and comprises nave with N aisle, chancel with aisle, S porch, vestry, and tower and spire 130 feet high. There are an Independent chapel, a national school, and charities £51.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Pangbourn, 4 miles N.W. Reading. P. 804

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

London Gazette

April 1850 – Alfred Wainwright – Pangbourne, Berkshire

Pursuant to the Acts for the Relief of Insolvent Debtors in England.

The following PRISONERS, whose Estates and Effects have been vested in the Provisional Assignee by Order of the Court for Relief of Insolvent Debtors, and whose Petitions and Schedules, duly filed, have been severally referred and transmitted to the County Courts hereinafter mentioned, pursuant to the Statute in that behalf, are ordered to be brought up before the Judges of the said Courts respectively, as herein set forth, to be dealt with according to Law :

Before the Judge of the County Court of Berkshire, holden at Reading, on Monday the 6th day of May 1850.

Alfred Wainwright, late of Pangbourne, Berkshire, in no business or profession, and before that of No.67, Oxford street, Reading, Berkshire, Butcher.

Parish Records

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Berkshire
Civil Registration District: Bradfield
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Berkshire
Diocese: Pre-1836 – Salisbury, Post-1835 – Oxford
Rural Deanery: Reading
Poor Law Union: Bradfield
Hundred: Reading
Province: Canterbury