Last Updated on

Hope under Dinmore was originally a chapelry in Leominster Ancient Parish was then formed as an Ecclesiastical parish in 1741 until 1928 when Hope under Dinmore with Ford Ecclesiastical parish was formed.

Status: Ecclesiastical Parish

Alternative names: Hope Hampton, Hope under Dunmore

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1701
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1661

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Hope under Dinmore

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

St Mary's church, Hope under Dinmore, Herefordshire
St Mary’s church, Hope under Dinmore, Herefordshire. David Dixon / St Mary’s of Hope / CC BY-SA 2.0

HOPE-UNDER-DINMORE, a village and a parish in Leominster district, Hereford. The village stands under Dinmore Hill, near the river Lug, and near the Dinmore station of the Hereford and Shrewsbury railway, 4¼ miles S by E of Leominster. The parish is sometimes called Hope-Hampton; and its post town is Leominster. Acres, 3,796. Real property, £3,779. Pop., 662. Houses, 134. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Hampton Court, belongs to John Arkwright, Esq. See Hampton Court. A preceptory of Knights Templars was on Dinmore Hill, and has left some vestiges. A tunnel of the Hereford and Shrewsbury railway, 1,100 yards long, goes through Dinmore Hill. There are petrifying springs. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £133. Patron, John H. Arkwright, Esq. The church is modern, with a tower; and contains tombs of the Coningsbys. There are a national school, a free school, and charities £4.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Hampton Court Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Hampton Court, a seat in Hope-under-Dinmore parish, Hereford; on the river Lugg, 4 ½ miles SSE of Leominster. It belongs to the Coningsbys, and passed to the Earls of Essex. It was originally built by Sir R. Lenthall, who figured at Agincourt; was restored by Campbell; is in the castellated style; forms a quadrangle, with gate-house and two towers on the north side; has a chapel with carved timber roof; contains William III’s bed, some old furniture, and some interesting portraits; and stands in a park of about 8 miles in circuit.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Family History Links

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Herefordshire
Civil Registration District: Leominster
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Hereford
Rural Deanery: Leominster
Poor Law Union: Leominster
Hundred: Wolphy
Province: Canterbury