Compton Gifford, Devon Family History Guide
Compton Gifford formerly a chapelry in the Ancient Parish of Plymouth Charles (Charles-the-Martyr) in the county of Devon.
Status: Chapelry succeeded by Compton Gifford Ecclesiastical Parish
Alternative names: Compton Giffard, Effard, Plymouth Emanuel
Other places included in the parish: Compton, Hyde Park Terrace, Mannamead, Mutley
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1870 see also Plymouth Charles
- Bishop’s Transcripts:
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational
Parishes adjacent to Compton Gifford
- Plymouth Christ Church
- Stoke Damerel
- Plymouth Charles
- Egg Buckland
- Laira Green
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
COMPTON-GIFFORD, a tything in Charles-the-Martyr parish, Devon; 1½ mile NNE of Plymouth. It includes the small villages of Compton, Mannamead, Mutley, and Hyde-Park-Terrace, comprising a number of fine residences; and has a post office, of the name of Compton, under Plymouth. Acres, 641. Real property, £5, 969; of which £156 are in quarries. Pop., 880. Houses, 140. The Plymouth, Stonehouse, and Devonport cemetery, established in 1846, comprising 18 acres, and containing two chapels, both in the decorated style of architecture, one of them with a bell-tower, is here. The new South Devon militia depôt also is here, in Ford Park. The tything has a small chapel of ease; and is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Charles-the-Martyr, in the diocese of Exeter.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Compton-Gifford, a tything, in the parish of Charles the Martyr, Plymouth, union of Plympton-St. Mary, hundred of Roborough, Roborough and S. divisions of Devon, 1½ mile (N. N. E.) from Plymouth; containing 271 inhabitants. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £225, of which £160 are payable to the vicar of St. Charles the Martyr’s, and £65 to the vicar of St. Andrew’s.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Compton Gifford Tithe Apportionments – Devon County Council
Civil Registration District: Plympton St Mary
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes
Rural Deanery: Plympton
Poor Law Union: Plympton St Mary