Moreton Say Shropshire Family History Guide



St. Margaret of Antioch Church, Moreton Say
St. Margaret of Antioch Church Robert Clive (Clive of India)was buried under slabs in the front chancel at the spot where today, the lectern stands. Peter Fleming / St. Margaret of Antioch Church / CC BY-SA 2.0

Moreton Say is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Shropshire, created in 1690 from chapelry in Hodnet Ancient Parish.

Alternative names: Moreton Sea, Moreton Saye

Other places in the parish include: Bletchley, Styche and Woodlands, Styche, Onley, and Longford.

Status: Ecclesiastical Parish

Parish church: St. Margaret of Antioch

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1690
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1634

Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Moreton Say

Historical Descriptions

Moreton Say

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

MORETON-SAY, a township, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Market-Drayton district, Salop. The township lies on a small affluent of the river Tern, 2 miles SSW of the boundary with Cheshire, 2½ WNW of the boundary with Stafford, and 3 W of Market-Drayton r. station. The parish contains also the townships of Bletchley, Longford, and Styche; and its Post town is Market-Drayton Acres, 4,804. Real property, £6,851. Pop., 679. Houses, 137. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to R. Corbet and W. Tayleur, Esqs. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £200. Patron, the Rector of Hodnet. The church is of the 14th century; was cased with brick in 1788; has a tower; and contains memorials of the distinguished Lord Clive, who was interred here, and monuments to the Clive family and to the Vernons. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £20. The sub-district contain s also two other parishes and a chapelry electorally in Salop, a parish and five townships electorally in Stafford, and a township electorally in Cheshire. Acres, 21,490. Pop., 3,923. Houses, 815.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Moreton Say or Sea. A township in the parish of Hodnet, (but having a separate minister and assessment) and in the Drayton division of the hundred of Bradford, North, a chapel to Hodnet, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Salop, and archdeaconry of Salop. 138 houses, 762 inhabitants. 3 miles north-west by west of Drayton.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Bletchley

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Bletchley. A township in the parish of Hodnet, and in the Drayton division of the hundred of Bradford, North. 7 ½ miles south-east of Whitchurch, 2 ½ miles west of Drayton.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Longford

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Longford. A township in the parish of Hodnet, and in the Drayton division of the hundred of Bradford, North. 2 miles west of Drayton.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Family History Links

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Shropshire
Civil Registration District: Market Drayton
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Lichfield
Rural Deanery: Market Drayton
Poor Law Union: Market Drayton
Hundred: North Bradford
Province: Canterbury