Stoneleigh Warwickshire Family History Guide



Church of the Virgin Mary, in Stoneleigh, Warwickshire.
Photograph of the church of the Virgin Mary, in Stoneleigh, Warwickshire by snowmanradio. This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.5 Generic, 2.0 Generic and 1.0 Generic license.

Stoneleigh is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.

Other places in the parish include: Starton, Hurst, Hill, Fynham, Frynham Hill, Fletchampstead, Cryfield, and Canley.

Status: Ancient Parish

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1634
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1662

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Stoneleigh

Historical Descriptions

Stoneleigh

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

STONELEIGH, a parish, with a village and seven hamlets, in the district and county of Warwick; on the river Avon, 2½ miles E by N of Kenilworth r. station. It has a post-office under Kenilworth. Acres, 9,907. Real property, £15,743. Pop., 1,283. Houses, 283. The manor, from before the Norman conquest till the time of Edward II., belonged to the Crown. A Cistertian monastery was founded here by Henry II.; went, at the dissolution, to the Brandons; and passed to the Leighs. S. Abbey, now a magnificent mansion, the seat of Lord Leigh, retains restored portions of the monastic buildings; consists chiefly of parts erected about the end of the 17th century; stands in an extensive, well-wooded, undulating park; and was visited, in 1858, by Queen Victoria and the Prince Consort. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £510. Patron, Lord Leigh. The church is ancient, partly Norman, and good. The vicarage of Westwood is a separate benefice. There are a reading room and library, a national school, alms houses with £139 a year, and other charities £21.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Stoneleigh Abbey
Stoneleigh Abbey by Tanya Dedyukhina. This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license.

Fynham

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Fynham, a village in Stoneleigh parish, Warwick; on the river Sow, 3 ½ miles S of Coventry.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Family History Links

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Vision of Britain historical maps

[amazon_link asins=’0850338638,0197261221,1848846096′ template=’ProductGrid’ store=’parishmouse-21′ marketplace=’UK’ link_id=’5e63b715-0136-4a2b-b968-bf7772937b2b’]

Administration

County: Warwickshire
Civil Registration District: Warwick
Probate Court: Pre-1837 – Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 – Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Worcester
Rural Deanery: Stonleigh
Poor Law Union: Warwick
Hundred: Knightlow
Province: Canterbury