Last Updated on
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St Laurence
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1564
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1662
Nonconformists include: Independents, Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists.
Parishes adjacent to Foleshill
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
FOLESHILL, a town, a parish, a sub-district, and a district in Warwick. The town stands adjacent to the Oxford canal and the Coventry and Nuneaton railway, 2½ miles NNE of Coventry; has a station on the railway, and a post office under Coventry; and participates in the ribbon, silk, and other manufactures of Coventry. The parish comprises 2,594 acres. Real property, £23,950; of which £2,437 are in mines. Pop., 8,140. Houses, 1,913. Foleshill Manor House and Foleshill Hall are chief residences. Iron-founding, coal-mining, and brick-making are carried on. Both the head living and another living called St. Paul’s are vicarages in the diocese of Worcester. Value of the former, £353; of the latter, £180. Patron of the former, the Lord Chancellor; of the latter, the Vicar of F. The head church was enlarged in 1816; and has an ancient font. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, and two national schools. The sub-district contains also the parish of Exhall and Bedworth, and the hamlet of Keresley. Acres, 7,799. Pop., 15,327. Houses, 3,503. The district includes likewise the sub-district of Sowe, containing the parishes of Sowe, Anstey, Shilton, Withybrook, Wyken, Stoke, and Binley, and the hamlet of Willenhall. Acres, 19,389. Poor-rates in 1862, £11,555. Pop. in 1851, 18,527; in 1861, 19,997. Houses, 4,556. Marriages in 1860, 114; births, 804. of which 54 were illegitimate; deaths, 407, of which 185 were at ages under 5 years, and 14 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 1,535; births, 8,161; deaths, 4,880. The places of worship, in 1851, were 12 of the Church of England, with 5, 909 sittings; 6 of Independents, with 2,008 s.; 8 of Baptists, with 2,141 s.; 5 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 818 s.; 6 of Primitive Methodists, with 1,126 s.; and 1 of the Wesleyan Association, with 150 s. The schools were 15 public day schools, with 1,090 scholars; 8 private day schools, with 268 s.; 26 Sunday schools, with 2,074 s.; and 1 evening schools for adults, with 12 s. There are two workhouses in Foleshill, and another in Exhall.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Foleshill, 3 miles N.E. Coventry. P. 7063
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Civil Registration District: Foleshill
Probate Court: Pre-1837 – Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 – Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Coventry
Poor Law Union: Foleshill