Last Updated on
Coughton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.
Alternative names: Coughton with Sambourn
Other places in the parish include: Sambourne and Sambourn.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St.Peter
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1673
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1616
Nonconformists include: Presbyterian and Roman Catholic.
Parishes adjacent to Coughton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
COUGHTON, a village and a parish in Alcester district, Warwick. The village stands on the Midland railway, 2 miles N of Alcester, and has a post office under Bromsgrove, and a r. station. The parish includes the hamlet of Sambourne. Acres, 3,070. Real property, £5,423. Pop., 883. Houses, 183. The manor comprises all the property; belonged, in the time of William the Conqueror, to Turchil de Warwick; was held, in the time of Henry I., by a family who took name from it; passed, in the time of Henry IV., to the family of Throckmorton; and belongs now to Sir R. Throckmorton, Bart. Coughton Court, the mansion on it, is a castellated edifice, of the time of Henry VIII.; and commands a fine view. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £161. Patron, Sir W. Throckmorton, Bart. The church is ancient and good; and contains monuments of the Throckmortons. A Roman Catholic chapel was built in 1857. Charities £34, and an alms-house.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Sambourn, a hamlet, in the parish of Coughton, union of Alcester, Alcester division of the hundred of Barlichway, S division of the county of Warwick, 3 ¾ miles (NW by N) from Alcester; containing 662 inhabitants, a few of whom are employed in making needles. It comprises 2200 acres.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
The History Topography and Directory of Warwickshire 1830
Sambourn, – Dugdale says, derived its name from the title Sandy Brook near it, – it is a hamlet in the parish of Coughton, in Barlichway hundred, 4 miles north from Alcester, and 107 from London. In 1803 the parochial rates were £704 4s. at 10s. in the pound: its population in 1811, was 353, and in 1821 it contained 120 houses and 653 inhabitants.
At the Conqueror’s survey, it belonged to the monks of Evesham; after the dissolution, it was sold to Robert Throckmorton, Esq.
Source: The History Topography and Directory of Warwickshire 1830. Wm. West. Printed and Published by R. Wrightson, Athenaeum, New-Street; and sold by Baldwin and Craddock, and Hurst, Chance and Co., London. 1830.
Marriages Out of Parish
Below is a list of people who were from Coughton but who were married in another parish.
George Eades, of Sambourne, p. Great Coughton, & Sarah Moore, of M. L., lic. 10 Sept. 1733 at North & Middle Littleton, Worcestershire.
James Powell, of Great Cotton, Warwicks, & Mary Smith, s., lic. 31 May 1757at North & Middle Littleton, Worcestershire.
Church Records – Indexes
Birth, Marriage, & Death Records – FamilySearch
Census Records – FamilySearch
Migration Records – FamilySearch
Military Records – FamilySearch
Probate & Court – FamilySearch
Land and property
Civil Registration District: Alcester
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Warwick
Poor Law Union: Alcester
Catholic Gentry in English Society: The Throckmortons of Coughton from Reformation to Emancipation (Catholic Christendom, 1300-1700) 1st Edition, Kindle Edition by Geoffrey Scott (Author), Peter Marshall (Editor)