Rowington Warwickshire Family History Guide
Rowington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.
Other places in the parish include: Pinley Green, Pinley, Lowsonford, Kingswood, Holywell, High Cross, Lowson Side, and Church Side.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St Laurence
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1638
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1612
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, and Roman Catholic.
Parishes adjacent to Rowington
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ROWINGTON, a parish in the district and county of Warwick; on the Birmingham canal, 1¾ mile S E of Kingswood r. station, and 6 NW of Warwick. It is divided into Church-Side and Lowson-Side; and it includes Lowsonford, Pinley-Green, High-Cross, Holywell, and part of Kingswood hamlets. Post-town, Warwick. Acres, 3,424. Real property, £7,142. Pop., 995. Houses, 225. The property is much subdivided. The manor was given, by Queen Elizabeth, to the Earl of Dudley. R. Hall is the seat of Misses Aston. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £231. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is cruciform, plain, and Norman. There are an endowed school, and charities with jointly £232.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The History Topography and Directory of Warwickshire 1830
Rowington, – (in Doomsday written Rochington, from its rocky site) a parish in Barlichway hundred, 5 miles N.N.W. from Warwick, and 95 from London. In 1803, the sum raised by parochial rates, including Kingswood, was £727 5s. at 5s. in the pound. In 1811, it contained 152 houses and 860 inhabitants. In 1821 it contained 176 houses and 888 inhabitants. In 1826, it was valued at £4636, and its proportion to the county rate was £19 6s. 4d. It is a vicarage, value £7 11s. 8d. Dugdale states it to contain “three hides, having a church and woods belonging thereto, then esteemed at one mile in length and half a mile and eight furlongs in breadth.” Queen Elizabeth granted this lordship to Ambrose Dudley, Earl of Warwick.
Source: The History Topography and Directory of Warwickshire 1830. Wm. West. Printed and Published by R. Wrightson, Athenaeum, New-Street; and sold by Baldwin and Craddock, and Hurst, Chance and Co., London. 1830.
The Registers of Rowington, 1612-1812 – UK Genealogy Archives – Free
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Baylis Jeremiah Bonifant, Rowington, Warwicksh., coal dealer, Feb. 15, 1839.
Civil Registration District: Warwick
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Warwick
Poor Law Union: Warwick