Status: Ancient Parish
Alternative names: Chelderton, West Cholderton
Parish church: St. Nicholas
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1652
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608; 1621
Parishes adjacent to Cholderton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CHOLDERTON (West), a parish in Amesbury district, Wilts; on the verge of the county, 2¾ miles W by N of Grateley r. station, and 5 ENE of Amesbury. It has a post office, of the name of Cholderton, under Salisbury. Acres, 1,661. Real property, with Allington and Newton-Toney, £4,637. Pop., 191. Houses, 38. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged formerly to the Foyles; and belongs now to the Dowager Countess Nelson. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £225. Patron, Oriel College, Oxford. The church was built in 1844; and is in the perendicular style, with an octagonal tower and a spire. Charities, £12.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Marriages at Cholderton 1664-1752 – UK Genealogy Archives
Civil Registration District: Amesbury
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
Rural Deanery: Amesbury
Poor Law Union: Amesbury