Chiseldon, Wiltshire Family History Guide

Holy Cross Church, Chiseldon, Wiltshire from the West
Holy Cross Church, Chiseldon, Wiltshire from the West by Lorddunvegan. This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license.

Chiseldon is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.

Other places in the parish include: Hodson and Badbury.

Status: Ancient Parish

Parish church: Holy Cross

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1641
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1605

Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Chiseldon

  • Liddington
  • Swindon
  • Wroughton
  • Ogbourne St George
  • Aldbourne
  • Stratton St Margaret
  • Draycot Foliat

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

CHISLEDON, a village and a parish in Highworth district, Wilts. The village stands 4 miles SE of Swindon r. station, and 8 S of Highworth; and has a post office under Swindon. The parish includes also the tythings of Badbury and Hodson. Acres, 4,750. Real property, £8,881. Pop., 1,206. Houses, 262. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £173. Patron, H. Calley, Esq. The church is good.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Photographs

Parish Records

FamilySearch Historical Records

Parish Registers

Marriages at Chisledon 1641-1812 – UK Genealogy Archives

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Wiltshire
Civil Registration District: Highworth
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
Diocese: Salisbury
Rural Deanery: Marlborough
Poor Law Union: Highworth and Swindon
Hundred: Kingsbridge
Province: Canterbury