Last Updated on

 St Andrew's Church, Boscombe, Wiltshire, seen from the south
St Andrew’s Church, Boscombe, Wiltshire, seen from the south. The copyright on this image is owned by Miss Steel and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.

Status: Ancient Parish

Parish church: St. Andrew

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1696
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608-1609; 1622

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Boscombe

  • Newton Tony
  • Winterslow
  • Idmiston with Porton
  • Nether Wallop
  • Over Wallop
  • Amesbury
  • Allington

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BOSCOMBE, a parish in Amesbury district, Wilts; on an affluent of the river Avon, and on the Basingstoke and Salisbury railway, 1½ mile NE of Porton station, and 4 SE of Amesbury. It has a post office under Marlborough. Acres, 1,692. Real property, with Gomeldon, Idmiston, Porton, and Winterbourne-Gunner, £7,630. Pop., 143. Houses, 34. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £330. Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church is old but good; and there are almshouses, with endowed income of £24. Richard Hooker was rector from 1591 till 1595, and wrote here the first four books of his “Laws of Ecclesiastical Polity”

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch Historical Records

Parish Registers

Marriages at Boscombe 1696-1812 – UK Genealogy Archives

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Wiltshire
Civil Registration District: Amesbury
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
Diocese: Salisbury
Rural Deanery: Amesbury
Poor Law Union: Amesbury
Hundred: Amesbury
Province: Canterbury