Steeple Ashton, Wiltshire Family History Guide
Status: Ancient Parish
Alternative names: Steeple Ashton, Steeple Ashton with Semington, Steple Ashton
Other places in the parish include: the tythings of Great Hinton, West Ashton, and Littleton, and the chapelry of Semington
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1584
Parishes adjacent to Steeple Ashton
- Trowbridge Holy Trinity
- West Ashton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ASHTON (Steeple), a village and a tything in Westbury district, and a parish in Westbury and Melksham districts, Wilts. The village stands 2½ miles S of the Kennet and Avon canal, and 3¾ E of the Great Western railway at Trowbridge. It takes its distinctive name from a tall steeple which was destroyed by lightning in 1670. It formerly was a market-town, and still has a fair on 19 Sept.; and it is a seat of petty sessions, and has a post office under Trowbridge. The tything comprises 2,808 acres. Real property, £5,846. Pop., 776. Houses, 177. The parish includes also the tythings of Great Hinton, West Ashton, and Littleton, and the chapelry of Semington. Acres, 6,789. Real property, £14,474. Pop., 1,767. Houses, 359. A considerable extent of the land was formerly common and recently enclosed. Rood-Ashton House, the seat of the Long family, is about a mile SW of the village. Very numerous fossils have been found; and an ancient pavement, thought to have been Roman, but of different character from other Roman pavements, has been dug up. The living is a vicarage, united with the curacy of Semington, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £852. Patron, the Master of Magdalene college, Cambridge. The church is large and later English, with a four-spired tower; and was built, toward the end of the 15th century, chiefly by Robert Long, a clothier. The vicarage of West Ashton is a separate charge.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Ashton-Steeple, 4 miles N.N.E. Westbury. P. 1941.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Civil Registration District: Westbury
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
Rural Deanery: Potterne
Poor Law Union: Westbury and Whorwellsdown