Sherston Magna with Sherston Parva, Wiltshire Family History Guide



Sherston Wiltshire.
Sherston Wiltshire. This work has been released into the public domain by its author, Arpingstone. This applies worldwide.

Sherston Magna with Sherston Parva is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Wiltshire, created by 1640 from Sherston Magna Ancient Parish and Sherston Parva Ancient Parish.

Alternative names: Sherston Magna, Sherston Pinkney and Sherston Parva

Other places in the parish include: Sherston Pinkney and Sherston Parva.

Status: Ecclesiastical Parish

Alternative names: Sherston Parva

Parish church: Holy Cross

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1653
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1602

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, and Primitive Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Sherston Magna with Sherston Parva

Historical Descriptions

Sherston Magna

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

SHERSTON-MAGNA, a village and a parish in Malmsbury district, Wilts. The village stands on the river Avon, 5 ½ miles WSW of Malmsbury, and 8 ½ E by S of Wickwar r. station; was known to the Saxons as Sceorstan; witnessed an obstinate battle, in 1016, between Edmund Ironside and Canute; was long a place of considerable consequence; and has a post-office, of the name of Sherston, under Malmsbury, and fairs on 12 May and 2 Oct. The parish comprises 4,280 acres. Real property, with Sherston-Parva, £8,637. Pop. of S.-M. alone, 1,503. Houses, 325. The property is subdivided. The manors of S.-M and S.-P., with Pinkney Park, belong to W. H. Creswell, Esq. Roman coins have been found; a deep well, supposed to have been of Roman origin, is behind the village; and an entrenched camp, probably Saxon, is a little to the NE. The living is a vicarage, united with S. -Parva, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £150. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester. The church is Norman and cruciform, and has a central tower. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, and Primitive Methodists, national and British schools, and charities £13.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Sherston Parva or Pinkney

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

SHERSTON-PARVA, or S.-PINKNEY, a parish in Malmsbury district, Wilts; adjacent to Sherston-Magna. Post-town, Sherston, under Malmsbury. Acres, 950. Pop., 156. Houses, 30. The living is a rectory, annexed to S.–Magna.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Registers

Marriages at Sherston Magna 1653-1812 – UK Genealogy Archives

Directories

Kelly’s Directory of Hampshire, Wiltshire, Dorsetshire and the Isle of Wight 1889

Family History Links

FamilySearch Historical Records

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Wiltshire
Civil Registration District: Malmesbury
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
Rural Deanery: Malmesbury
Poor Law Union: Malmesbury
Hundred: Chippenham
Province: Canterbury