Last Updated on
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1568
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1605
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Oxhill
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
OXHILL, a village and a parish in Shipston-on-Stour district, Warwick. The village stands on an affluent of the river Stour, 2½ miles WNW of the boundary with Oxfordshire, 3 ESE of the Fosse way, 4¼ S S W of Kineton, and 9½ S E of Stratford-on-Avon r. station. The parish comprises 1,668 acres. Post-town, Kineton, under Warwick. Real property, £2,527. Pop., 373. Houses, 91. The property is much subdivided. The parish is a meet for the Warwickshire hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £354. Patron, W. D. Bromley Davenport, Esq. The church is Norman, with a low tower; and the chancel was recently restored. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a free school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Oxhill, 3½ m. S.W. Kineton. P. 348.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Civil Registration District: Shipston on Stour
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Kineton
Poor Law Union: Shipston on Stour