Hampton Lucy, Warwickshire Family History Guide
Hampton Lucy is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.
Alternative names: Bishop’s Hampton
Other places in the parish include: Ingon, Hunscot.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1556
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1603
Parishes adjacent to Hampton Lucy
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HAMPTON-LUCY, a village and a parish in Stratford-on-Avon district, Warwick. The village stands on the river Avon, 4 miles NE by E of Stratford-on-Avon r. station; and has a post office under Warwick. The parish includes also the hamlet of Ingon. Acres, 3,050. Real property, £6,694. Pop., 435. Houses, 94. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged anciently to the bishops of Worcester, and then bore the name of Bishops Hampton; but was given, by Queen Mary, to the Lucy family, and then took the name of Hampton Lucy. An elegant cast iron bridge was recently constructed here over the Avon. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £1,346. Patron, Henry S. Lucy, Esq. The church is a splendid edifice, in the decorated style of the 14th century; was mainly built in 1826, from a fund left by a rector’s widow; acquired a highly decorated apsis in 1858; underwent further improvements in 1863-4; is computed to have cost about £20,000; has beautifully carved open seats in the nave, exquisitely carved oak stalls, and two elegant painted windows in the chancel-and five very fine large windows, with painted designs in the apsis; and contains a fine oak pulpit on a stone base, and a brass eagle lectern. An endowed grammar school has £118 a year, with two exhibitions at Magdalene college, Oxford; and other charities have £25.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Hampton-Lucy, or Bishops-Hampton, 3½ miles N.E. Stratford-on-Avon. P. 458.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
The History Topography and Directory of Warwickshire 1830
Hunscot, – is a small hamlet in the parish of Hampton Lucy, in which its population is included.
Source: The History Topography and Directory of Warwickshire 1830. Wm. West. Printed and Published by R. Wrightson, Athenaeum, New-Street; and sold by Baldwin and Craddock, and Hurst, Chance and Co., London. 1830.
Marriages Out of Parish
Below is a list of people who were from Hampton Lucy but who were married in another parish.
George Walford, of Hampton Lucy, Warwickshire, b., & Francis Vinn, of S. L., s., lic. 13 July 1807 at South Littleton, Worcestershire.
Civil Registration District: Stratford on Avon
Rural Deanery: Kineton
Poor Law Union: Stratford on Avon