Abbots Ann, Hampshire Family History Guide
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1561
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1780
Parishes adjacent to Abbots Ann
- Nether Wallop
- Over Wallop
- Penton Mewsey
- Upper Clatford
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ABBOTS-ANN, a parish in Andover district, Hants; on the river Ann or Anton, adjacent to the Basingstoke and Salisbury railway, 2½ miles SW by W of Andover. It has a post office under Andover. Acres, 3,351. Real property, £3,932. Pop., 640. Houses, 140. The property is all in one estate. Red Rice House, an ancient mansion, is the place where George IV. was married to Mrs. Fitzherbert. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £645. Patrons, the heirs of Sir J. Burrough. The ancient church belonged to the Abbey of Cornelies, in Normandy. The present church is a deformed structure of last century. There is an Independent chapel.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Abbot’s Ann (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Andover, partly in the hundred of Wherwell, but chiefly in that of Andover, Andover and N. divisions of Hants, 2¼ miles (S. W. by W.) from Andover; containing 619 inhabitants. This place anciently belonged to Hyde abbey, Winchester, in the earliest rolls of which it is noticed as the manor of Anna, and in later ones as Abbottes Anne. In a field, about a mile to the south-east of the church, were discovered a few years since the remains of what is believed to have been a Roman villa, from the pavement found, there, and from its vicinity to Dunbury Hill.
Some, however, have imagined them to be the ruins of a monastery, as the field is still called Monaster Field, and the opinion is favoured by the names of this and the neighbouring village of Monkston. At the beginning of the eighteenth century, the property passed by purchase into the Pitt family, by one of whom, Governor Pitt (who brought the Pitt diamond into Europe), the church was rebuilt. The parish comprises about 3000 acres, and is intersected by the Salisbury and great western road ; a canal from Andover to Southampton passes within a mile. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £42. 17. 6., and in the patronage of Miss Burrough: the tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £790, and there are about 50 acres of glebe, and a good glebe-house. The church is a substantial brick edifice relieved with stone, with a handsome tower. There is a place of worship for Independents; and a school is supported by the rector.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
ABBOTS-ANNE, a parish, partly in the hund. of Andover, partly in that of Wherwell, Andover division and union, Southamptonshire; 2 miles south west of Andover. — Living, a rectory in the archd. and dio. of Winchester; rated at £42 17s. 6d. ; gross income £650. Patron, in 1835, Sir J. Borough. Pop., in 1801, 457; in 1831, 562. Houses 95. Acres 3,100. A. P. £3,157. Poor rates, in 1837, £408. The tything of Little Anne is included in this parish.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom 1808
Abbot-Ann, a parish and market-town in the division of Andover, Hants, 2 ½ miles from Andover, and 65 ½ from London; containing 85 houses and 457 inhabitants. It is a rectory, value 42l. 17s. 6d.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom. Benjamin Pitts Capper. 1808.
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Andover
Probate Court: Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Winchester
Rural Deanery: Andover
Poor Law Union: Andover