Other places in the parish include: Foxt, Morridge, and Meeridge.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1561
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1673
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Ipstones
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
IPSTONES, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Cheadle district, Stafford. The village stands on the slope of a lofty eminence, above the river Churnet, the Uttoxeter canal, and the North Stafford railway, 2½. miles NW of Froghall r. station, and 4½ N of Cheadle; and has a post office under Stafford, and fairs on 24 March and 6 Nov. The parish contains also the township of Morridge, and part of the hamlet of Foxt. Acres, 5,642. Real property, exc. of Morridge and Foxt, £11,010, of which £6,207 are in mines; inc. of Morridge and all Foxt, £14,214, of which £7,407 are in mines. Pop. of the parish, in 1851, 1,292; in 1861, 1,904. Houses, 373. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of Ironstone mining operations. The property is much subdivided. Belmont Hall is a chief residence. The scenery includes cliffs of much height and beauty, and has recently been much improved by plantations. Gritstone, of good quality for grindstones, is largely quarried. The Ironstone mined here is of a very peculiar and highly valuable quality. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £130. Patrons, Freeholders in trust. The church is plain, and has a tower; and it contains an enamelled pedigree and several monuments of the Sneyd family. There is a small church at Foxt. There are also chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, an endowed agricultural school, and charities £9. The sub-district contains also the rest of Foxt hamlet, and two other parishes. Acres, 20,677. Pop., 6,118. Houses, 1,251.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Morrage, co. Stafford.
P. T. Cheadle (146) 4 m. NNE. Pop. with Foxt, 415.
A joint township with Foxt, in the parish of Ipstones, in the southern division of the hundred of Totmonslow.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Family History Links
- County: Staffordshire
- Civil Registration District: Cheadle
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Leek
- Poor Law Union: Cheadle
- Hundred: North Totmonslow
- Province: Canterbury