Cheadle is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Staffordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Above Park, Brookistone, Huntley, Cheadle Mill, and Cheadle Grange.
Parish registers begin: 1567
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Methodist New Connexion, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Cheadle
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
CHEADLE, a town, a parish, a sub-district, and a district in Stafford. The town stands in a valley, environed by high hills, near the river Tean and the Uttoxeter canal, 3 miles W by S of Oakamoor r. station, and 9 ESE of Stoke-upon-Trent. It has a post-office under Stafford, a banking-office, three chief inns, a parish church, four dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic church, a Free school, a national school, and a workhouse; and is a seat of petty sessions, and a polling-place. The parish church was built in 1837; is in the decorated English style; and has a fine stained glass eastern window. The Roman Catholic church was built in 1843-6, by the Earl of Shrewsbury, after designs by Pugin, at a cost of about £60,000; is in the pointed style; and consists of nave, aisles, and chapels, with a fine western tower and spire, 200 feet high. Markets are held on Fridays; and fairs on 7 Jan., 25 March, Holy Thursday, 4 July, 21 Aug., and 18 Oct. Tape-making, malting, rope-making, and leather-dressing, are carried on. Pop., 3,191. Houses, 701. The parish includes also the hamlets of Freehay, Cheadle-Grange, Cheadle-Mill, Brookistone, Huntley, and part of Oakamoor. Acres, 6,701. Real property, £18,696; of which £1,872 are in mines. Pop., 4,803. Houses, 1,034. The property is much subdivided. Coal and iron-stone abound. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £438. Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The p. curacies of Freehay and Oakamoor are separate benefices. Charities, £63.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Baguall Sampson, Cheadle, Staffordshire, grocer & ironmonger, Dec. 3, 1839.
Heath William, Cheadle, Staffordshire, grocer, April 30, 1822.
Johnson Mary; & Wm. Johnson; Cheadle,Staffordsh., grocers, June 14, 1842.
Mason George, Cheadle, Staffordshire, horse dealer and printer, Nov. 28, 1828.
Snape William, Cheadle, Staffordshire, grocer, July 13, 1822.
Suffolk Thomas, Cheadle, Staffordshire, innkeeper, March 23. 1827.
Walters Thomas, jun., Cheadle, Staffordshire, innkeeper, Dec. 29, 1829.
Family History Links
FreeReg – Parish Registers – Free
- County: Staffordshire
- Civil Registration District: Cheadle
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Cheadle
- Poor Law Union: Cheadle
- Hundred: South Totmonslow
- Province: Canterbury