Clyro Radnorshire Wales Family History Guide

Clyro Village
Photo of Clyro Village by andy dolman, some rights reserved.

Clyro is a parish in the county of Radnorshire, Wales. Bettws Clyro is a chapel of ease to Clyro.

Clyro parish includes: Bettws Clyro, Bronydd

Parish church: St. Michael (rebuilt in 1853)

Chapel of ease: Holy Trinity, Bettws Clyro (rebuilt in 1878)

Parish registers begin: 1666

Nonconformists include: Baptist and Congregational

Schools: Public Elemenatry School (mixed), built in 1861 for 120 children.

Parishes adjacent to Clyro

Historical Descriptions

Clyro

THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND & WALES 1870

Clyro church
Clyro church. The copyright on this image is owned by andy dolman and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.

CLYRO, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in the district of Hay and county of Radnor. The village stands on a rivulet near the river Wye and the Hereford and Brecon railway, 1 mile NW of Hay; has a post office under Hereford; and is a seat of petty sessions. The parish includes also the chapelry of Bettws-Clyro. Acres, 7, 225. Real property, £7, 704. Pop., 888. Houses, 172. Clyro Court is the seat of the Baskervilles. A monastery was early founded in the parish; and there are traces of a castle. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Bettws-Clyro, in the diocese of St. David’s. Value, £345. Patron, the Bishop of St David’s. The church has a piscina and a font.—The sub-district contains eight parishes and part of another. Acres, 31, 753. Pop., 3, 521. Houses, 697.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF GREAT BRITAIN AND IRELAND 1833

Baskerville Hall, Clyro Court, Hay-on-Wye.
Baskerville Hall, Clyro Court, Hay-on-Wye.

Clyro, co. Radnor, S. W.

P. T. Hay (155) 1 m. NW. Pop. 545.

A parish and village in the hundred of Pain’s Castle, situated at the foot of the Radnorshire mountains, on the banks of the river Wye. The living is a prebend and vicarage in the diocese of St. David’s and province of Canterbury; the former, which belongs to the collegiate church of Brecknock, is valued in K. B. at 7l. 6s. 8d.; the latter, which is discharged, is valued at 6l. The Bishop is patron of both. The petty sessions for the hundred are held here; and near to this is a mineral spring, efficacious in ophthalmia. A monastery was founded here at an early period, and the ruins of a castle still remain.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Bettws Clyro

THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND & WALES 1870

BETTWS-CLYRO, or Capel-Bettws, a chapelry in Clyro parish, Radnor; on the river Wye, 3 ¼. miles N of Hay r. station. Post Town Hay, under Hereford. Real property, £1,853. Pop., 188. Houses, 38. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Clyro, in the diocese of St. David’s.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Bettws Clyro Church
Bettws Clyro Church This mediaeval church was rebuilt in 1878/9 maintaining its 14th century roof, carved figures and rood screen. The diarist the Rev Francis Kilvert preached here. The copyright on this image is owned by Angela Jones and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.

THE PARLIAMENTARY GAZETTEER 1851

BETTWS-CLYRO, a small parish in the hund, of Painscastle, union of Hay, county of Radnor, South Wales; 3¼ miles north of Hay, on the western bank of the Wye. Living, a curacy not in charge, subordinate to the vicarage of Clyro. There is a day and Sunday school here, to which the parish contributes £15 annually for the education of 10 poor children. Pop., in 1801, 167; in 1831, 683. Houses 45. A. P. £1,742. Poor rates, in 1837, £122.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

LEWIS TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF WALES 1842

BETTWS-CLYRO, or CAPEL-BETTWS (BETTWS-CLAERWY), a chapelry, in the parish of Clyro, union of Hay, hundred of Painscastle, county of Radnor, South Wales, 4 miles (N. by W.) from Hay; containing 250 inhabitants. This place partakes, in common with the parish in which it is situated, of the scenery by which this part of the principality is characterized : the views embrace a pleasing variety of landscape, enlivened by the windings of the river Wye. The chapel is distant about two miles from the church of Clyro. There is a separate assessment for the support of the poor: the total expenditure of the rates, for the year ending March 25th, 1837, amounted to £122, of which £99 was for the relief of the poor, £22 towards county rates, and £1 for incidental charges.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis Third Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 87, Hatton Garden. MDCCCXLII.

Directories

Kelly’s directory of Monmouthshire and South Wales, 1920

Family History Links

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Administration

  • County: Radnorshire / Powys
  • Civil Registration District: Hay
  • Diocese: St. David
  • Poor Law Union: Hay
  • Hundred: Painscastle
  • Province: Canterbury
  • Petty Sessional Division: Painscastle
  • Couty Court District: Hay