Bryngwyn is a parish in the county of Radnorshire South Wales.
Parish church: St Michael and All Angels (restored 1874-77)
Parish registers begin: 1614
Nonconformists include: Congregation (chapel at Rhosgoch erected in 1839).
The children of this parish attend the schools at Newchurch & Llanbedr Painscastle
Parishes adjacent to Bryngwyn
- Llanbedr Painscastle
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BRYNGWYN, a parish in the district of Hay and county of Radnor; on the river Arrow, 4¼ miles WNW of the Hereford and Brecon railway, and 6 NNW of Hay. Post Town, Hay, under Hereford. Acres, 4,536. Real property, £2,412. Pop., 334. Houses, 65. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. David’s. Value, £294. Patron, the Bishop of St. David’s. The church is bad. Charities, £9.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer 1851
Bryngwyn, a parish in the hund. of Pains Castle, union of Hay, county of Radnor, South Wales; 8 ½ miles south-west of Kington. It contains about 4,000 acres, and lies on the river Avro. Living, a rectory in the archd. of Brecon and dio. of St. David’s; valued at £11 6s. 8d. ; gross income £342; in the patronage of the bishop of St. David’s. Charities connected with this parish produce £9 2s. per annum. Pop., in 1801, 277; in 1831, 364. Houses 66. A. P. £1,194. Poor rates, in 1837, £231.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Family History Links
- County: Radnorshire / Powys
- Civil Registration District: Hay
- Diocese: St. David
- Rural Deanery: Hay
- Poor Law Union: Hay
- Hundred: Painscastle
- Province: Canterbury
- Petty Sessional Division: Painscastle
- Couty Court District: Hay